The Padmasambhava Meditation Center, founded by the Venerable Chhoje Rinpoche, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the study and practice of Tibetan Buddhism. The teachings focus on activating wisdom and compassion through the practice of meditation.
Chhoje Tulku Rinpoche is a recognized lineage holder of both the Nyingma and Kagyu schools of Tibetan Buddhism. His teachings are rooted in the Dudjom Tersar Nyingma lineage within the Vajrayana tradition.
Rinpoche formally began teaching in America in 1987 when he founded Padma Shedrup Ling, a 501 c-3 tax-deductible nonprofit organization. Since then, he has taught throughout North America and many other countries, directing activities under its auspices. Rinpoche also heads several monasteries and a nunnery in India, as well as supervising a wide variety of dharma projects in Nepal and Bhutan.
In 2012, he founded the the non-profit Padmasambhava Meditation Center, to carry on as the nexus for his dharma activity. For general questions or further information about PMC please send us an email!
The Padmasambhava Meditation Center of the Rockies
We are proud to announce the new seat of the Venerable Chhoje Rinpoche in North America — The Padmasambhava Meditation Center of the Rockies. Located in Denver, Colorado, the building is a former church and is currently undergoing extensive renovations that will transform it into a magnificent dharma center. Nestled in a quiet neighborhood, it will be a place where Rinpoche teaches and will be able to invite guest teachers, providing a conducive environment for the sangha to gather and do practice.
However, there are many needs to be met before the Padmasambhava Meditation Center of the Rockies can open its doors. To find out what these are and how you might be able to contribute, please click here.
Our namesake — Padmasambhava
Rinpoche’s centers are named after Padmasambhava, also known as Guru Rinpoche, who was a great Indian master and saint. He brought Vajrayana Buddhism from India to Tibet in the 8th century and is often referred to as the second Buddha, carrying on the work of Shakyamuni Buddha.
Padmasambava “Looks Like Me” statue
Guru Rinpoche’s powerful presence enabled Vajrayana Buddhism to take a firm hold in Tibet, as he turned the country into a peaceful Buddhist nation. He also hid a number of termas (sacred teachings) in lakes, caves, fields and forests of the Himalayan region, to be found and interpreted by future tertons (“treasure revealers”). The teachings that Guru Rinpoche and Dakini Yeshe Tsogyal established and concealed there in the 8th century for the benefit of future generations to come, have been progressively revealed by great tertons, or treasure revealers, with the intention that they be studied and applied at the exact moments in time when they proved to be most beneficial.
Padmasambhava’s teachings continue to live on, specifically addressing the unique inner and outer challenges we face during these challenging times. When practiced with devotion, compassion and diligence, under the guidance of a qualified lama, the teachings are highly effective in awakening our true nature. The profound practices of Vajrayana are swift and powerfully transformative.
What our centers offer
- Our centers provide instruction and opportunities for people to practice meditation and study sacred Tibetan Buddhist texts and traditional ceremonies. The focus is on integrating the practice of wisdom and compassion in our daily lives.
- The sangha gathers regularly to sit and meditate, to offer prayers for world peace and prosperity, and to listen to recordings of Chhoje Rinpoche’s teachings. We invite you to join us in monthly meditation practice held in Southern California and Northern California, as well as Boulder, Montrose and Denver, Colorado. Click here for details.
- We actively support the activities and well being of Tibetan Buddhist monasteries and nunneries in India, Bhutan and Nepal.
- An important aspect of our activities is the sponsoring of traditional prayer ceremonies that maintain the pure essence of the teachings. This is a vital service for those in need of prayers due to sickness or other obstacles. To request prayers to be done on behalf of yourself or others, please refer to the Prayer Requests section of the website.
- Contributions go directly to supporting the spiritual work of Chhoje Rinpoche as he travels the globe promoting the dharma. Our membership program is a foundation of on-going support and provides a consistent way for people to practice generosity. Please note that all activities of the Padmasambava Meditation Center are performed by volunteers.