The Padmasambhava Meditation Center, founded by the H.E. Chhoje Rinpoche, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the study and practice of meditation and Tibetan Buddhism. The teachings of Buddhism focus on activating wisdom and compassion through the practice of meditation.
Chhoje Rinpoche is a recognized lineage holder of both the Nyingma and Kagyu schools of Tibetan Buddhism. Drawing on a long history of traditional study and practice, Rinpoche is a highly qualified, skillful and beloved meditation master. His teachings are rooted in the Dudjom Tersar Nyingma lineage of the Vajrayana tradition.
Rinpoche has been teaching in North America since 1983. In 1989 he founded Padma Shedrup Ling, Buddhist Study and Practice center in California. Since then, he has taught throughout the U.S. and in many other countries, directing activities under its auspices. Rinpoche also heads several monasteries and a nunnery in India, and supervises a wide variety of dharma projects in Nepal and Bhutan.
In 2012, he founded Padmasambhava Meditation Center (PMC) to carry on as the nexus for his dharma activity. The center is a 501 c-3 tax deductible non-profit organization. For general questions or further information about PMC please send us an email!
Our namesake — Padmasambhava
Rinpoche’s centers are named after Padmasambhava, also known as Guru Rinpoche, who was a great Indian master and saint. He brought Vajrayana Buddhism from India to Tibet in the 8th century and is often referred to as the second Buddha, carrying on the work of Shakyamuni Buddha. The teachings of Padmasambhava and their relevance are incredibly profound, as they directly relate to the realization of our essential nature.
Padmasambava “Looks Like Me” statue
Guru Rinpoche’s powerful presence enabled Vajrayana Buddhism to take a firm hold in Tibet. Through his miraculous activity he inspired the transformation of the country into a peaceful Buddhist nation, thriving with potent spiritual activity. He hid a number of termas (sacred teachings) in lakes, caves, fields and forests of the Himalayan region, to be found and interpreted by future tertons (“treasure revealers”). The teachings that Guru Rinpoche and Dakini Yeshe Tsogyal established and concealed there in the 8th century for the benefit of future generations to come, have been progressively revealed by great tertons, or treasure revealers, with the intention that they be studied and applied at the exact moments in time when they proved to be most beneficial.
Padmasambhava’s teachings are incredibly useful and relevant to our current situation, as they specifically address the unique inner and outer challenges we face during these challenging times. When practiced with devotion, compassion and diligence, under the guidance of a qualified lama, the teachings are highly effective in awakening our true nature. The profound practices of Vajrayana are swift and powerfully transformative.
What our centers offer
- Our centers provide an opportunity to connect with Chhoje Rinpoche, and to receive instruction on how to practice meditation.
- For those who are interested, the centers provide an opportunity to study sacred Tibetan Buddhist texts, foundation practice such as Ngondro, and traditional Buddhist ceremonies. The goal is to integrate the practice of wisdom and compassion in our daily lives.
- The sangha gathers regularly to sit and meditate, to offer prayers for world peace and prosperity, and to listen to recordings of Chhoje Rinpoche’s teachings. We invite you to join us in monthly meditation practice held every Thursday evening in Denver, CO and often in Southern California and Northern California, as well as Boulder and Montrose Colorado. Click here for details.
- We actively support the activities and well being of Tibetan Buddhist monasteries and nunneries in India, Bhutan and Nepal.
- An important aspect of our activities is the sponsoring of traditional prayer ceremonies that maintain the pure essence of the teachings. This is a vital service for those in need of prayers due to sickness or other obstacles. To request prayers to be done on behalf of yourself or others, please refer to the Prayer Requests section of the website.
- Contributions go directly to supporting the spiritual work of Chhoje Rinpoche as he travels the globe promoting the dharma. Our membership program is a foundation of on-going support and provides a consistent way for people to practice generosity. Please note that all activities of the Padmasambava Meditation Center are performed by volunteers.